May 16, 1958, U.S. President Dwight D.
Eisenhower waved a
radioactive rod over a neutron counter at the
White House to start, by remote control, a
turbine 215 miles away at the Shippingport
(Pennsylvania) Nuclear Power Plant. The plant, in
operation since December 18, 1957, was the first
full-scale nuclear plant in the United States
solely for commercial use. It was refueld for the
first time on October 9, 1959.
Shippingport was decommissioned
on October 1, 1982.