THE ROBINSON LIBRARY
|The Robinson Library >> Military Science >> Air Forces and Air Warfare|
|McConnell Air Force Base
Located in Wichita, Kansas, McConnell Air Force Base is currently home to the 22nd Air Refueling Wing of the Air Mobility Command, the Air Force Reserve Command's 931st Air Refueling Group, and the Kansas Air National Guard's 184th Intelligence Wing. The base is named for Fred, Thomas and Edwin McConnell, three Wichita brothers who served in the Air Force during World War II.
McConnell AFB is located on the site of what was originally the Wichita Municipal Airport, which was dedicated on June 28, 1929. In August 1941, the Kansas National Guard 127th Observation Squadron was activated as the first military unit assigned to the Wichita airport. During World War II, Boeing Aircraft produced B-29 Superfortress bombers at their plant which shared a runway with the airport , and the U.S. Air Force took over control of the airport in order to oversee the transfer of aircraft to various installations. The airport was returned to civilian jurisdiction in 1946.
In 1950 the City of Wichita began work on a new airport west of the city and the Air Force agreed to take over the old airport grounds and locate an air base there. The Air Force took title to the old airport on May 31, 1951, and Wichita Air Force Base was officially activated on May 15, 1953; it was formally renamed McConnell Air Force Base on April 12, 1954.
Major Commands to Which the Base Has Been Assigned
Materiel Command, March 1, 1942 - July 17, 1944
Major Units Assigned to Base
Midwestern Procurement District Group, March 1, 1942 -
September 7, 1945
Official website: http://mcconnell.af.mil
Library >> Military Science >> Air Forces and Air Warfare
This page was last updated on 09/22/2017.