and largest city of Bangladesh
Dhaka lies near the geographic center of the
country, on the Buriganga River. The city proper
covers an area of about 60 sq mi (about 154 sq
km); the metropolitan area covers about 565 sq mi
(about 1,463 sq km). The population of the city
is about 6.7 million; that of the metropolitan
area is about 12.3 million.
The city now known as Dhaka was founded as the
capital of the Province of Islam Khan Chisti
(Bengal) during the reign of Mughal Emperor
Zahangir, who called it Zahangirnagor, in 1608.
It remained under Mughal control until 1704. In
1765, the city came under the control of the British
East India Company, which renamed it Dacca.
In 1905, the city became the capital of a new
province comprising East Bengal and Assam. Upon
the partition of India
in 1947, it became the provincial capital of East
Pakistan. It became the capital of Bangladesh
upon its independence from Pakistan in
1971. The spelling of the city's name was changed
to Dhaka in 1982.
Principal industries of Dhaka include textiles
(jute, muslin and cotton), food processing
(especially rice), and the manufacture of various
consumer goods. Many international banking,
finance, telecommunications, and services
corporations have facilities in and around the
The City of Dhaka is governed by a city
corporation, with day-to-day executive power
vested in and exercised by a Mayor, who is
elected by popular vote every five years. The
incorporated area is divided into several wards,
each of which has an elected commissioner.
Dhaka is home to Dhaka College, one of the
oldest institutions of higher learning in
Bangladesh (founded in 1840), as well as the
University of Dhaka (1921). Other major
institutions of higher learning in the city
include Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh
University of Engineering and Technology, and Sir
Salimullah Medical College.
Shah Park was built to
commemorate the martyrs of the first war
of independence, 1857-1859. It is said
that revolting sepoys and their civil
compatriots were publicly hanged here.
Museum was once the
residence of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur
Rahman, the father of Bangladesh. Today
it contains a rare collection of personal
effects and photographs of his lifetime.
The Central Shahid Minar
(Monument of Bangladesh Nationalism)
commemorates the martyrs of the Language
Movement of 1952. All subsequent
movements for Bangladesh independence owe
their origin to this movement.
The Jatiyo Shogshod
(National Parliament) was
designed by the noted American architect
Jatyo Sritee Shoudhow
located in the suburb of Savar;
commemorates the many unknown martyrs of
the first war of independence (1857).
was begun in 1678 by Prince Azam, third
son of the last Moghul Emperor
Aurangazeb. Construction continued under
his son Nawab Shaista Khan, but was
suspended upon the death of his favorite
daughter, Bibi Pari. During the Sepoy
Rebellion of 1857, the fort was the
site of a bloody battle between 260
Sepoys backed by civilians and British
forces. Attractions inside the fort's
walls include the mausoleum of Bibi Pari
and a museum.
The National Museum
contains sculptures and paintings from
the Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim periods;
inscriptions of Quran in Arabic and
Persian letters; Bengali works in Arabic
script; and many other national
formerly known as the Race Course, was
where the oath for independence of
Bangladesh was taken on March 7, 1971. It
is also where the commander of occupation
forces surrendered to Bangladesh, on
December 16, 1971.
Tara Masjid (Star Mosque)
gets its name from a glittering mosaic of
broken china. The mosque was originally
built in the 18th century; the mosaic was
added later by a zealous and pious
East India Company
Questions or comments about