|The Robinson Library >> Towers, Turrets, Minarets, Etc.|
|Leaning Tower of Pisa
the popular name for what is actually the campanile (bell tower) of the Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square) in Pisa, Italy
Officially known as the Torre Pendente di Pisa, the Leaning Tower gets its popular name from the fact that it is about sixteen feet (5.5 degrees) from the vertical. Although it looks as if it could fall at any moment, it has stood (albeit rather crookedly) for over 600 years.
Construction began on the tower in 1173. The third floor was completed in 1178, at which time it became obvious that the structure was leaning; construction was halted at this time due to war with Firenze. Construction was again halted by war in 1185. Four more floors were constructed between 1272 and 1284. In an attempt to make up for the inclination, these floors were constructed with one side "shorter" than the other. This is why the tower appears to have a slight "bend" in the middle. The seventh floor was completed in 1319, and the tower was "topped out" in 1350. The bells were removed from the third floor and installed in the belfry in 1372.
Facts and Figures
Original architect Bonanno Pisano
Height at which Lean Becomes Obvious 35 feet
Height 185 feet (55.9 meters) tall
Number of columns around first floor 15
Number of steps to top 296
Number of bells 7, tuned to musical scale
Latitude 43.7167 (43°43'0" N)
The official website of The Leaning Tower of Pisa is torre.duomo.pisa.it
|The Robinson Library
>> Towers, Turrets, Minarets,
This page was last updated on 09/27/2018.