THE ROBINSON LIBRARY
|The Robinson Library >> Fine Arts >> Architecture >> History|
|Architectural Highlights from 1959
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the only building in New York, New York, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, was opened on October 21, 1959.
Minoru Yamasaki designed an aluminum-clad building to house the Great Lakes headquarters of the Reynolds Metals Company in Detroit, Michigan, which opened in 1959. Above an open colonnade and suspended 5 feet beyond a glass curtain wall is an enclosing screen of gold-anodized aluminum, the appearance of which changes with point of view and quality of light.
The Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne, Australia, received $25,000 for the best use of aluminum in architecture during 1959. Officially opened on February 12, 1959, the acre-sized structure is constructed of aluminum-clad plywood sheets and supported by a cable-stay system. It was designed by Yunken Freeman and built by W.L. Irwin.
The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India, completed in 1959, was designed by Edward Durell Stone. The rectangular building, enclosed with a cast-terrazo grille, stands on a platform that overlooks a circular pool.
Library >> Fine Arts >> Architecture >> History
This page was last updated on 02/11/2018.