|The Robinson Library >> Grover Cleveland|
the retirement home of President Grover Cleveland
Grover and Frances Cleveland fell in love with Princeton, New Jersey, when the President made an address at Princeton University's Sesquicentennial Celebration in October 1896. Frances began scouting homes for the couple's post-White House years during her husband's last months as President, and settled on a colonial mansion at 15 Hodge Road. The couple and their three daughters moved into Westland, which the ex-President named for Princeton professor and close friend Andrew Fleming West, in March 1897 and immediately became darlings of Princeton University and Princeton, New Jersey, society. Both of their sons were born in the house, much to the delight of Princeton students.
Grover Cleveland enjoyed a happy and active life at Westland, as practicing attorney, trustee of the university, "friend of the student body," lecturer, and popular citizen of Princeton, New Jersey. He died in the house on June 24, 1908, and his simple funeral was held there. Frances Cleveland and her children continued to live at Westland until 1913, when she remarried.
Grover Cleveland's final home has changed hands several times over the years, but is still a private residence closed to the public.
|The Robinson Library
>> Grover Cleveland
This page was last updated on August 30, 2018.