THE ROBINSON LIBRARY
|The Robinson Library >> Grover Cleveland|
|The Birthplace of Grover Cleveland
Stephen Grover Cleveland was born in a modest house at 207 Bloomfield Avenue in Caldwell, New Jersey, on March 18, 1837.
Built in 1832, this was the residence (Manse) of the minister of the Caldwell Presbyterian Church. In addition to the main house, there was a one-story kitchen on the east side and a one-story lean-to at the rear. Richard Falley and Ann (Neal) Cleveland and their three children moved into the house in 1834. Three more sons (one of them being Grover, he seldom ever used his first name) and a daughter were born in the house before Richard Cleveland moved the family to a new posting in Fayetteville, New York, in 1841.
The Presbyterian Church enlarged the Manse several times between 1848 and 1870. Interest in preserving it began after Cleveland ran for Governor of New York in 1881 and it looked as if he would continue his political rise. Efforts to buy the house began in 1907, and it was opened to the public on March 18, 1913. The Cleveland Birthplace Memorial Association sold it to the State of New Jersey in 1934, and today it is operated as the Grover Cleveland Birthplace State Historic Site. Restored to their 1837 appearance when the Cleveland family lived in the house, the first floor rooms offer a glimpse at the modest beginnings of the future president. Among the artifacts on display from Cleveland's early years are his cradle and original family portraits. An exhibition gallery reflects his later life. The house is listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.
Robinson Library >> Grover Cleveland
This page was last updated on June 23, 2018.