|The Robinson Library >> Abraham Lincoln|
|Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, Illinois
In 1844, Abraham and Mary Lincoln purchased a one-and-a-half-story house and some land from the Rev. Charles Dresser, who had performed their marriage ceremony two years earlier. They had a full second floor added in 1856 to accomodate their growing family. Three of the the couple's four sons were born in the house, and one (Edward) died here in 1850.
The Lincolns' home became a very popular place after he was elected President in 1860. Before moving to Washington in 1861 they rented out the house, sold most of their furniture, and entrusted the family dog to a neighbor.
Mary Lincoln refused to return to the house after her husband's assassination in 1865. The only surviving son, Robert Todd, donated it to the State of Illinois in 1887 under the condition that it would be forever maintained as a memorial and open to the public free of charge. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on December 19, 1960; placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 16, 1966; and designated the Lincoln Home National Historic Site on August 18, 1971.
Restored to its 1860 appearance, the home sits in the middle of a four-block area, much of which has also been restored to the same era.
|The Robinson Library
>> Abraham Lincoln
This page was last updated on August 30, 2018.