the home of John
John Tyler bought this 1,200-acre plantation
in 1842, while serving as the 10th President of
the United States, and it was his retirement home
from 1845 until his death in 1862.
Originally built in 1780, the main house was
expanded during Tyler's residency until it was
300 feet long (by one room deep).
Tyler's widow and children lived with her
family in New York during the Civil War,
but returned to Sherwood Forest afterward. The
estate is still owned and maintained by
descendants of John Tyler, through the Sherwood
Forest Plantation Foundation. It is open to the
public, and its official website is http://www.sherwoodforest.org/.
Questions or comments about