|THE ROBINSON LIBRARY|
Library >> Agriculture >> Plant Culture >>
(aka Shalimar Gardens) a complex of gardens, canals, fountains, and buildings located about 5 miles east of Lahore, Pakistan
Commissioned by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan (who was also responsible for the Taj Mahal), construction of the Persian-style garden began in 1641 A.D. and was completed the following year.
Laid out in the form of an oblong parallelogram, the gardens measure ~2,159 feet north to south and 846 feet east to west. They are laid out from south to north in three descending terraces, which are elevated 13-15 feet above one another. The highest, and therefore most private, terrace is thought to have been used by imperial women. The channels of water that weave through the whole garden are fed by canals designed and administered by a defector from the Persian court, Ali Mardan Khan, known for his architectural and building expertise. The gardens also contain white marble buildings in typical Shah Jahani style. The entire complex is enclosed by a red sandstone wall interrupted by small decorative kiosks.
Shalamar Gardens was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981.
This page was last updated on 02/05/2017.